Monday, February 14, 2011

Once Upon A Time in the Land Down Under - Version 2

What's a legend if it doesn't have various versions, eh? Well, what do you expect from a story that's been passed down verbally from one generation to another for thousands of years. Anyway, I found another version of the Three Sisters of the Blue Mountains, albeit a more romantic one. A tragic outcome of forbidden love, it seems. So, here goes...
The First Australian dream-time legend has it that three sisters - Meehni, Wimlah and Gunnedoo - lived in the Jamison Valley as members of the Katoomba tribe.
These beautiful young ladies had fallen in love with three brothers from the Nepean tribe. Unfortunately, tribal law forbade them to marry. The brothers were not happy to accept this law and so decided to use force to capture the three sisters, causing a major tribal battle.
As the lives of the three sisters were seriously in danger, a witch doctor from the Katoomba tribe took it upon himself to turn the three sisters into stone to protect them from any harm. While he had intended to reverse the spell when the battle was over, the witch doctor himself was killed. As only he could reverse the spell to return the ladies to their former selves, the sisters remain in their magnificent rock formation as a reminder of this battle for generations to come.


The Three Sisters are 922, 918 and 906 metres tall, respectively.

Dad took this photo as he was fiddling with the DSLR. I thought this angle is quite nice.
Angelina's note: Hmmm....I prefer the first version. Why were the girls sacrificed just because they fell in love with boys from a different tribe? Why didn't they just let the boys send flowers and chocolates to the girls? What a waste. purrr...meow!
Brad's 2-cent's worth: Hmmm...so there's actually no magic bone? No way I can "cure" the girls and marry them? What a waste. I'd buy you chocolates and flowers, Angelina. If Mama would give me some money.... har har har *evil laughs*

20 comments:

tireless mom said...

To protect the three sisters from harm, they were turned into stones. Kesiannya lah hai. If I have a say, and I am one of the three sisters, would have asked the witch doctor to send me away to Mauritius or Venice or Hawaii; laden with money to spend. You know lah how we girls can spend kan.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Yatt,
Those days manalah ada istilah shopping menyopping ni kan? Am sure when the girls asked why, the witch doctor would have said, it's for your own good. Memang kesian. purrr....meow!

Ellen Whyte said...

What Tireless Mom said!

Thanks for your kind words about Au. We will make sure his last days are happy, and we won't let him suffer.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Ellen,
We wish things have turned out differently for Au. How I wish for a magic bone now.... not to turn him into stone but to do something magical for him. purrr....meow!

RoySr said...

I do hope I can visit here again. I read the last two posts and am delighted at what I have found.

My family consists of 6 little rescues, my Lovely tiny wife and myself, a decrepit old military reject from years gone by.

We are a cat loving family, and we love folk and faerie tales as well.

I love the writing.

thanks for the good reads.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Hi Roy! Welcome to my crazy world. Pawesome kitties you have there. Hugs to all of them. purrrr.....meow!

i amsterdam said...

The sisters are mighty tall!!! I do not think they suit Brad at all if he manages to find the magic bone that is... :D

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Mother of Ilham,
Well....you know that boy. He always goes for the unattainable...older, taller, larger than him. Mengada-ngada sokmo. purrrr.....meow!

ninotaziz said...

You know I loved this.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Ninot,
Yes....I know. Where have you been? purrr....meow!

=^..^= said...

Brad, we dun think you wud want to marry the three sisters. Your Mom told us that they are 70,000 years old!

~Slash & Bronzy

Lady of Leisure said...

hehe brad cemana ni nak beli choc n flower for angelina minta duit mommy? hehe so cute!

Lee said...

Hi Cat, Wow, that '3 sisters' really spectacular! Your dad a good photographer...outstanding shot!
Love the story.....I guess those long ago times must have been tough on romantic escapades...
Luckily I was born when telephones just arrived, ha ha...
Have a nice day, ada lagi episodes?
Lee.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Slash & Bronzy,
Ehem....I like my women....ehem....matured. har har har *evil laughs*

xoxo
Brad

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Lady of Leisure,
Well...I don't have any income except for the pocket money Mama gives....so how? OK, could you fundraise for me? har har har *evil laughs*

The Romeo,
Brad

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle Lee,
Even in these days and age, romantic escapades are still frowned upon by some. There are some more tales in the pipeline. purrr...meow!

CS said...

Warmest regards from us all ...

Daud (yes Daud), Tote, Ham, Yam, Tam, Bon, Tin, Pin2, Fuse, Neng, Bu, Gege, Mabel ...

~CovertOperations78~ said...

What a stupid thing to do! Were the girls ever consulted on this ridiculous decision? Nooooo.... no one ever asks women anything. If they did, they would have made a sensible decision, i.e. Tireless Mom's decision.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Somuffins,
Oooh...ramai sedara-mara I sekarang ni ye? purrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

CO78,
I agree with you 500%!!!! purrr....meow!