Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Remembering Christchurch

The shocking news came via Uncle Abdullah's blog (lobolessons). He told of his personal experience. Then Aunty Zendra who had just returned from there also mentioned it in her comment box. A devastating earthquake of 6.3 on the Richter scale hit Christchurch and reportedly 65 people are dead.

We visited this fine and elegant city in May 2008. I'd like to remember the place as a beautiful place that I'd like to visit again. Vincenzo, I hope you're OK, mate.

I hope that nice uncle who sells kebab at the Cathedral Square is OK. 
The famous cathedral....iconic and now damaged.

Was anyone playing chess when the quake hit?

This tram service is now disrupted. 
I'm not going to put up pictures of the damaged buildings, rubbles, flash flood etc. I'd like to remember Christchurch as that serene and elegant place. A place we placed on top of our list of places to retire in.
To all the people of Christchurch, hang on there, mates! purrrr....meow!

20 comments:

Wan Sharif said...

Mm..
Good idea.. to remember the good time.. not the bad time..

Unknown said...

Praying that those trapped in the rubble will be saved soon!

So sad to see such a beautiful place go to ruins. But, kuasa Allah. And the hikmah behind it, only He knows!

Cheqna said...

Sad news..condolences to them.

Nana said...

I really hope the aftermath was handled appropriately. We hear awful lots of news about earthquake these days. It's happening even in Japan.

TK said...

I was shocked too. It is indeed a nice place. Byk kucing tak kat sana?

Ellen Whyte said...

I liked it too. Poor people.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Ayoh Wang,
I'm a purveyor of positive thinking. Always look on the bright side. purrrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Ahan,
This is one place I'd recommend to visit. I was there in autumn....can you imagine the colours? purrrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Cheqna,
I'm purrraying that cute Vincenzo is OK. He works at the Botanical Gardens, punting the boat on river Avon. You should hear him serenading Mama.... purrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Nana,
Oh dear! Where have you been? Japan is one of those countries prone to natural disaster - earthquake, tsunami.... purrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

TK Sensei,
We didn't see much stray animals when we were there. Biri-biri adalah. purrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Au & Target,
Wish I can visit there again..... purrr....meow!

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to the victims. Praying for all affected by this tragedy. May all have strength to pull through this challenging period. A friend's daughter-in-law to be is still missing...:-( and many others to.

Take care and thanks for this post.

Salam

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Paula,
At least we know Uncle Abdullah is OK but Mama is worried that she can't get hold of Vincenzo. purrrr....meow!

~CovertOperations78~ said...

Poor NZ! First the tragedy of the trapped coal miners, and now the earthquake. NZ doesn't deserve so much misfortune. It is such a beautiful, clean, civilised country, with friendly and kind people. I loved Christchurch, with its charming Otago University, River Avon, the gingerbread cathedral, the tram, the Neil Dawson sculpture... sigh! Sending strength, love and solidarity across these miles to NZ.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

CO78,
My sentiments exactly. I've fallen in love with the place and will never fall out of it. At least 300 people are still unaccounted for. Purraying for the best. purrr....meow!

Sandy said...

I heard about the earthquake too ! I hope everyone there is safe and the city will be rebuilt soon :(

grOundnUt said...

woaaa...nice place..tak pernah pon pegi sana..huhuhuh.=(

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Tante Sandy,
Let's all pray together. purrrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Uncle GroundNut,
NZ is a nice country to visit, earthquake or not. Who knows....one day you may set your feet there. purrr....meow!